Monday, January 23, 2012

DEVOTIONAL

FRESH START FROM GOD


The New Year always feels like a clean slate, a new beginning and I am reminded of Lamentations 3:22-23 ~ "The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail, they are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness." Each year, each day, is a fresh start with God. What an incredible blessing.

Instead of New Year's resolutions, I like to take some time and just seek God for a while, depending on how busy I am depends on how long I get to take! Sometimes this time is simply reflection, a time to appreciate the year past and all God has done. Sometimes it is a time of repentance, getting rid of the callouses that have grown on my heart, desiring to allow God to more deeply work in my life, a deep cleansing in my soul. Sometimes it is an intense time of seeking direction, simply listening to what God's goals for me are. This year it seems I did all three. My heart's desire is to just know God more, to daily allow Him to use me to glorify Himself, to walk in loving forgiveness. But how can I live that out?


To know God more- I need to listen to His voice as I read the Bible, as I hear sermons, as I fellowship with others. God's word is alive and sharper than any two edged sword! So as I read it, I want it to be alive to me. What is God saying through Scripture to me today? I need to spend time letting Him examine my heart, and cry with the psalmist, "Create in me a clean heart O Lord, and renew a right spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10) It is hard for me to be still long enough to listen to what God is saying; I am organizing my home or thinking about what I am supposed to be doing, so Lord, help me be still with You, to really listen when I am alone with You. Give me ears to hear Your voice and a mind focused on You.


To daily allow Him to use me for His glory- Some days this is really challenging. What if being used for His glory means cleaning the bathroom? Or taking care of sick children? Or failing parents? I may have had other things on my mind when I prayed that Lord. Yet, cheerfully taking care of the home You have given me allows You to use it more often for Your glory. And some days when I have everything planned out for the day, You bring divine interruptions; I don't always see them as that, but that is what they are. A phone call- or six- so necessary to another; help me to see it through Your eyes God and use Your words, even when it changes what I am able to do. And what if being used for His glory is simply putting a meal on the table in a timely manner, and answering questions from young (or older) children? God has placed each of us in a unique place, in our home as well as in our time of life, and it is in this place that God chooses, even delights, to use us. Lord, give me contentment in the place You have put me, contentment physically, emotionally and spiritually. May I rest in the fact that You are God, and You know what You are doing in and with my life.


To walk in loving forgiveness - It is so hard to just let go and forgive, hurt can be deep and raw, or it can be quick and gone. From an inattentive driver to an abusive past, forgiveness is necessary. How could You forgive us of so much on the cross? I have sinned against You more deeply than anyone has sinned against me, but I keep the pain. You didn't. You loved me instead, You carried my pain in the midst of Your sacrifice. As I struggle to learn this, Lord, show me where the other person is hurting or wounded, what You would have me do to bring healing to them. To understand that some wounds are never intentional, and to know that the ones that are have already been forgiven by You. And who am I to withhold that which You have given? May You work in me so that I would learn to forgive as You did; freely and sacrificially giving in the midst of pain.


This year may each of us hunger more deeply for God, become more yielded to His gentle nudge, and to walk in loving forgiveness with others, by the power of His Holy Spirit.